The origins of Bolgheri Castle date back to 1500. Since then, it has been the property of the Counts of Gherardesca family. In the second half of the 1700s, restoration work and improvements were made to the building, and the cellars were built. In 1895, the castle?s facade was modified, with the construction of the tower and merlons as we still see them today. Bolgheri Castle and its surrounding lands were transferred by hereditary succession to the current family of the Counts Zileri Dal Verme. The farm extends around the Castle for an area of 130 hectares, 50 of which are covered by vineyards; the rest is made up of areas cultivated with 6,000 olive plants, sown grounds and woods. Both sides of the farm are adjacent to the famous cypress road extolled in the poetry of Giosue Carducci.
Already on the nose an intense and full-bodied wine is announced. Notes of plums, chocolate, tobacco and black currant. Absolute seduction of the palate. The elegant concentration of fruit drops with a refined smoothness, with hints of plums and cloves. A wine with a full flavor in every drop. The tannins are right and delicate, the balance is perfect. Balsamic pleasantness, is the first step towards the excellent wines of Grattamacco.