William Ponsot established the Domaine in 1772 after the Prussian war. It was not until after the 19th century, however, that the Domaine began to take its present form under the influence of Jean-Marie?s uncle who had 7.4 acres of vineyards but no children. When his nephew, Jean-Marie?s father, took over in 1922, the inheritance had become only 2.47 acres. By the time Jean-Marie started working in 1949, land purchases had increased holdings to 14.8 acres. He added 6.4 acres in 1957, located in Morey, Gevrey and Chambolle.
Pinot noir?from Morey-St-Denis is known for its deep red cherry, blackcurrant and blueberry fruit. Aromas of spice, licorice and purple flowers are present in the wines? youth, evolving to forest and game as the wine ages.